Your non-profit might not be in the business of making money for its shareholders like a private sector corporation, but it still needs funds. Without capital, your organization cannot accomplish its mission, and it cannot pay the staff members who work so hard to achieve its goals. That’s why it’s important to make it easy for donors who want to help you move forward.
Benefits of Online Donations for Non-Profits
There are several benefits you will receive when you accept online payments from your donors. They include the following:
- Donating is fast and easy, increasing the likelihood that busy people will give. No checks or follow-up calls are necessary on the part of the giver.
- Donations can happen seamlessly from your website. Interested individuals can be inspired by what you do, click on a “donate” button and complete the transaction in seconds.
- Donation tools make setting up recurring gifts easy. It’s a win-win for your busy staff as well as for time-conscious donors.
- Accepting online donations puts you in touch with younger visitors to your site and allows you to begin the process of cultivating a long-term relationship with an often hard-to-reach demographic.
E-gifts, especially recurring ones, are one of the best ways to build a long-term future for your organization.
Choosing the Right Donation Tool
There seem to be an infinite number of online donation tools and payment service providers, which makes it hard to decide which one to use. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you a computer novice for whom ease of setup is a prime consideration?
- Do you want to accept recurring donations?
- Do you have additional information about your donors that you want to record and track?
- Do you sometimes have fund-raising events that require tickets that you want to sell online?
Regardless of which tool or provider you ultimately choose, understand that you will need to pay a fee no matter what.
The costs of donation and payment acceptance platforms vary. However, look for a site that provides the following features:
- Find a site that is already registered as a foundation, or a provider with experience serving non-profits. Be sure your solution enables you to accept donations as an IRS-approved non-profit organization.
- Look for low transaction fees.
- The entire transaction should take place on your website using a widget or payment page; the donor shouldn’t be redirected elsewhere.
- The platform should accept recurring payments.
- Donors should trust the donor platform. Make sure you advertise its credentials prominently on your site.
- If you are mostly going to be selling event tickets, be sure you find a platform that can accommodate your need.
Just as e-commerce is becoming the status quo in our society, giving online has gained great popularity. It’s a trend that won’t be going away anytime soon, so take advantage of the convenience it offers to your staff and donors alike. Make online donations a part of your non-profit’s donation profile today, and everyone will be the winner.